Share | 

RA:AD Progress

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cybergreen
Owner/Dev/Admin
Owner/Dev/Admin

PostSubject: RA:AD Progress   Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:17 am

Hey there, everyone. Since the cease of progress a few months back, I have been planning a game by myself, and a few weeks ago, I started making it. I'm not asking for help, but I thought some people might like to see my progress.

The game engine I am using is RPG Maker VX Ace, designed for traditional JRPGs. I am using it a little differently and am making a side-scrolling roguelike JRPG. I don't wish to give too much away right off the bat but I'll try and keep posting here as I progress.

Thus far, I have written out a brief of the overarching story, written out a brief of the story lines of each of the game zones, and decided on the system by which the game will advance. I plan for it to be highly story-driven, with the player taking the role of a supernatural "guiding hand" who leads the main character and his comrades through the game, interacting with the character and receiving lore concerning the world as he progresses.

Graphically, I have only created a rough tileset to try out my map mechanics with, but a friend of mine has created a template animation set for the characters which may give you an idea of the art style:

I'll keep you posted. That's all for now!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote :
No matter my love of Gundam, I know Heero and company have no chance of victory.
The Gundams are excellent machines.
The Evas are not.
They are monsters.
~Gaijin D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cybergreen
Owner/Dev/Admin
Owner/Dev/Admin

PostSubject: Re: RA:AD Progress   Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:30 am

Aaaaaaaaaand... Sprite sheet for the Alchemist is done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote :
No matter my love of Gundam, I know Heero and company have no chance of victory.
The Evas are not.
They are monsters.
~Gaijin D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Belial9996
Graphics Crew
Graphics Crew

PostSubject: Re: RA:AD Progress   Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:42 am

How long are you planning the game to be?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cybergreen
Owner/Dev/Admin
Owner/Dev/Admin

PostSubject: Re: RA:AD Progress   Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:16 pm

The bare minimum of content will be eight dungeons and seventeen bosses. I want to add side dungeons and perhaps some end game content, but I'm keeping it slow for now. Here's the walk sheet for the alchemist to give a bit better idea of the art:

Quote :
The Evas are not.
They are monsters.
~Gaijin D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Belial9996
Graphics Crew
Graphics Crew

PostSubject: Re: RA:AD Progress   Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Looks pretty good so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cybergreen
Owner/Dev/Admin
Owner/Dev/Admin

PostSubject: Re: RA:AD Progress   Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:48 pm

The Ranger: "The Forests of Flesh and Bone are no place to raise a family, but exile is worse."

Quote :
The Evas are not.
They are monsters.
~Gaijin D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cybergreen
Owner/Dev/Admin
Owner/Dev/Admin

PostSubject: Re: RA:AD Progress   Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:23 am

Hmmmm... Yeah, I need some better tiles =P

Quote :
The Evas are not.
They are monsters.
~Gaijin D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Belial9996
Graphics Crew
Graphics Crew

PostSubject: Re: RA:AD Progress   Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:15 am

Haha, i think the tiles seem pretty decent. the floor seems too similar to the walls, and you could use some decorations or something. Looking good so far though bud!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cybergreen
Owner/Dev/Admin
Owner/Dev/Admin

PostSubject: Re: RA:AD Progress   Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:52 pm

Thanks. These were just a few I had whipped up to test mechanics in the engine; the finished levels are going to be a lot more detailed. Even so, I like how the window turned out.

Quote :
The Evas are not.
They are monsters.
~Gaijin D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cybergreen
Owner/Dev/Admin
Owner/Dev/Admin

PostSubject: Re: RA:AD Progress   Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:51 am

The engine I had been planning on using doesn't seem like it will allow for the random elements I want. Experimenting with various things.

Quote :
The Evas are not.
They are monsters.
~Gaijin D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Belial9996
Graphics Crew
Graphics Crew

PostSubject: Re: RA:AD Progress   Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:32 pm

That's why I am learning to program myself. I can make anything I would want instead of relying on existing engines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cybergreen
Owner/Dev/Admin
Owner/Dev/Admin

PostSubject: Re: RA:AD Progress   Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:47 pm

Coding an engine yourself is a ridiculous endeavor unless you have a team to back you up. I have a friend who made her own JRPG engine for her own game, and she regrets ever starting it. Just the problem of troubleshooting compatibility with the various iterations of Windows is an insanely frustrating process, and every hour you spend making the engine is an hour not spent making the game. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred it is better to use a pre-existing engine that has a full team developing, debugging, and improving it so you can focus on the actual game.

But anyway, good luck with that =P

Quote :
The Evas are not.
They are monsters.
~Gaijin D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Belial9996
Graphics Crew
Graphics Crew

PostSubject: Re: RA:AD Progress   Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:02 pm

It doesn't have to be a full-fledged engine designed to meet any need. It can be something tailor made to fit a certain game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cybergreen
Owner/Dev/Admin
Owner/Dev/Admin

PostSubject: Re: RA:AD Progress   Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:22 pm

Read above :3

Honestly, just busting yer chops =P not really trying to be a jerk.

Quote :
The Evas are not.
They are monsters.
~Gaijin D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RA:AD Progress   

Back to top Go down

RA:AD Progress
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1